College admission becomes a step closer for special needs students at The Rugby School. Seniors may register for up to four classes; two in the fall semester and two in the spring semester.
There are five parts to the Fast Start Program:
- Transition: The school to college transition is designed to help students acclimate to the rigorous demands of the college environment. This is achieved by the student maintaining complete access to all supports available at The Rugby School.
- Academic Preparation: The Rugby School provides a path to college by offering students the academic foundation they need to ensure success at the college level. Students learn to write term papers and essays according to collegiate standards. The Rugby School also offers classes in advance mathematics, foreign language and computers.
- Guidance: The Rugby School has counselors who assist college bound students every step of the way; including selecting and registering for classes, filling out appropriate financial aid forms (FAFSA) and helping the students seek available scholarships.
- College Coaches: Rugby utilizes college coaches who assist students in acclimating to college by exposing them to campus life as much as possible. Trips to the campus, library visits and lunch in the college cafeteria, as well as learning how to access the college website are all part of transition before the student graduates. The coach also familiarizes the student with potential college clubs that they can join and checks on the student’s assignments and communicates to professors to solicit additional support when needed.
- Teaching Support: Rugby’s highly qualified teachers work with Fast Start students to provide additional support by working with the college coach and assisting students with assignments, papers and projects.
Many students have continued at the community college level and/or moved on to four year colleges such as:
- Rutgers University
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Johnson and Whales University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Kean University
- Ramapo College
- Roger Williams University
- University of Virginia
- University of Rhode Island
- United States Naval Academy at Annapolis